chevron

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Muscle Men and Beautiful Teeth

Since Braden was very little he would do "muscles." For whatever reason, I never did get a good picture of him doing, and he stopped doing it a few months ago. Then, just recently and randomly he started doing it again.

The other morning he and his brothers were showing their muscles at breakfast over and over again. It was funny and we were all laughing.
As they were flexing, I got thinking about this baby's pretty teeth. At 15 months, he has 2 on the bottom and 4 on the top.

In February Braden jumped off the bunk bed. It was his first attempt at being Superman, surely not the last, I am sure. But, he hit his top front teeth and pushed the left one forward. We took him to the neighbor dentist who basically told us that the tooth socket was broken and there was little chance that tooth would be saved. He did a bridge on his 2 front teeth, hoping that might help, and told us to be careful. Then Dave and Scott Bollar gave Braden a blessing. I was just sick. The dentist told us that generally when one baby front tooth gets knocked out, they pull the other one too to keep everything midline, and then because there is no baby teeth to be pushed out, the adult teeth are in no hurry to come in, and generally come in slower than normal. So, here I have a 1 year old that has knocked his tooth out and will likely be wishing for his 2 front teeth for the next 8 Christmases. I told Dave I would have rather he broke his arm, that heals in 6 weeks.

Well, that was the weekend before Dave and I went out of town for a week, leaving Braden with Grandma. Everything seemed to be fine, until I got back, and that next morning was dressing my kids on the bed when Braden jumped over Colton and landed tooth first on the floor, knocking the bridge off and the other tooth forward. So, we called around and found the one and only pediatric dentist in Utah county that is open on Friday, and he saw Braden. He said that baby teeth are meant to move, and a bridge is not a good idea to put on the teeth. He took an xray and said that he didn't think the socket looked broken, told us to be careful, and gave us a hint of hope that all will be well. But, as we were leaving, he said, "If I were a betting man, I'd say that he will probably lose those teeth earlier than he would otherwise." I just didn't know what to do. But we tried to be careful, if that is possible when you are 1.

A month later I took Braden back to the dentist to have the left over yellow bridge sanded off his teeth. There was lots of screaming, but when all was said and done he had 2 pretty white teeth.
It has now been nearly 3 months since the first fall and he has beautiful white teeth that seem strong and healthy. What a blessing!!!

No comments: