chevron

Monday, June 21, 2010

The highlight of our trip

Sunday we woke up to celebrate Colty's #4 birthday, and Father's Day. After an in-room breakfast we opened presents. Colty was excited for his new Book of Mormon, abc game, and towel and ball game from Grandma and Grandpa Peterson. He also got a cowboy hat! Daddy got a new belt and new garments. Then we loaded up and headed to the coast. It was so weird to me that Tillamook is surrounded by beautiful green mountains, and the coast is only 9 miles from there. You would never know it was that close. We were all so excited to see the ocean that we could hardly handle the 9 miles of winding roads that got us there. We all loved it!!
The beach we went to was called Oceanside. It wasn't a very warm day, although we have been told that is par for the course. It kind of misted on us the whole time, and at the very end started to rain, so we left. Colty loved drawing in the sand. It was kind of disappointing that his drawings didn't last long because the sand was so wet.Tanner loved finding sea shells. We didn't find many that were full shells, but we got lots of pretty ones that are broken. I was surprised how many sand dollars there were, and I had really hoped the we would find a full one, but we never did. Tanner decided the beach looked like sand with blueberries on it. It really did.Braden loved being there too. He got cold after digging in the sand, so I just ended up carrying him the last while.We walked over to the big rock and found it covered in muscles. It was kind of cool. Dave loved taking pictures. I think this is the first time he has used our camera :) It was just so peaceful and wonderful. I know the beach was the highlight of our trip for everyone.
Then we drove 2 miles to Cape Meares and enjoyed the lighthouse and the view. Someone shot the lighthouse windows in January so we couldn't walk to the top, but it gave us a good reason to discuss why we shouldn't ruin things just for fun. Then the boys and I walked to Octopus tree. It was an interesting growth, and Tanner informed me that I take too many pictures. Maybe so, but there were times when I decided that we didn't even need a camera, because my heart took a picture and I would remember moments of our trip forever. I hope the boys took 'heart pictures' too.
It was a 6 hour drive home, but with lots of treats and with only 2 potty stops we all did pretty good. Braden got a bit restless at times, but he also took a really good nap. We had such a wonderful time! I can't wait to do it again.

No comments: